Saturday, August 17, 2013

4:59

Dear Addelyn, 
I was wheeled into the delivery room around 4:30 in the afternoon on May 21, 2012. I was so incredibly nervous. My body was already experiencing the oddities of an epidural which to me was quite uncomfortable. At one point during the delivery the doctor told me to stop moving my legs. I had been consciously trying to move them, not knowing if i was succeeding, since they had gone numb. I was struggling with the lack of control I had on the lower half of my body.  At another point I can distinctly remember seeing our doctors head bob above the white curtain they had draped above my chest as she thrusted my abdomen to push you down. She later explained that you were situated high under my ribs and you had to be pushed down before she could deliver you. The short time spent in the delivery room was to me a frantic few minutes of hustling doctors having conversations I couldn't understand nor pay attention to, but then it happened: They announced your time of birth. At 4:59 pm you made your debut into this world. 

You weren't crying or making any noise for that matter. The nurses moved quickly, lifting your freshly born body over the curtain for me to see then whisking you to the incubator. It was these few minutes that seemed to last forever. I remember asking over and over again if you were okay. No one would answer me. But then you screamed, and I could breathe again. You were a healthy 7 pound, 12 ounce, and 21 inch tall baby girl. 

I love you Addelyn,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment